Photography is everywhere. It accompanies us throughout our lives making it possible to keep the memory of every moment of happiness, excitement, admiration forever. Photography is an art, and it needs an aesthetic taste and a creative mind, plenty of imagination, practice, and skills. Turning your hobby into a job, your passion into a source of income takes a lot of effort, devotion, and time.
Before taking the career first steps in Photography, you need to understand what is a photographer, what are their responsibilities, how to become a photographer, what types of job roles can take photographers?
What Is A Photographer?
Photographers (the Greek “phos”-“light”, and “graphê”-“drawing, writing”, together meaning “drawing with light”) are trained professionals who capture moments using cameras or other equipment, special lighting to perfect the subject. They take pictures of everything: people, places, landscapes, food, nature, flowers, animals, sunsets, emotions, etc. And depending on what field they choose to build their career in, photographers are divided into different groups: Sports photographers, Food photographers, Cityscape photographers, Documentary photographers, Fine art photographers, Wildlife photographers, etc.
How To Become A Photographer?
Anyone with a camera can be a photographer. But to be a professional photographer, just having a camera is not enough. Unlike other professions where hiring requires a college degree, it is possible to become a professional and in-demand photographer on your own, online, or in short-term courses: It is enough to be creative and detail-oriented, to know all the functionality of the camera, to have aesthetic taste, some knowledge of photoshop, marketing, communication, and teamwork skills.
Another group of photographers, however, argues that formal training is necessary to be a more literate photographer, as only in an academic environment it is possible to learn all the tricks of discipline in art, the basic skills that you can apply in the future. And most importantly, in an academic setting, you will have the opportunity to meet professionals and leaders in your field, people with your preferences, who will share their experience and valuable knowledge.
Careers In Photography
Photographers have a wide range of opportunities to work, each field stands out for its uniqueness and beauty.
Below you can find 8 top types of photography jobs:
- Portrait photographer: Portrait photographers strive to capture a person’s personality with the right lighting and background.
- Commercial photographer: Commercial photography aims to promote a client’s product or service. This career includes some types of photography: architectural, product, portrait, and food photography.
- Scientific photographer: A scientific photographer take images for scientific experiments, reports, and research.
- Photojournalist or News photographers: Photojournalists take photos of people and events for use in news media, newspapers, or magazines. They tell stories by photos.
- Fashion photographer: Fashion photographers shoot models wearing the latest trends. With this job, you can take photos for catalogs and fashion magazines.
- Travel photographer: Travel photographers get paid to visit unique places and photograph everything there: the people and their lifestyles, the sightseeings, the food, or wildlife.
- Wedding photographer: Wedding photographers are the most in-demand and the highest-paid. They are the photographers of happiness, love, dreams who capture the moments that will last forever.
- Freelance photographer: Freelance photographers are self-employed. Although they don’t have a stable income compared to other photographers, this type of career is more interesting and creative.